[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Objective of the project
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the development of cost-effective strategies for fulfilling the goals in the EU Water Framework Directive by identifying robust agricultural areas for which only a limited part of the nitrate leached from the root zone reaches the streams. The specific scientific objectives are:
- To further develop and quantify the ability to resolve near surface local scale heterogeneity by using the geophysical methods MiniSkyTEM and Magnetic Resonance Sounding (MRS).
- To assess the heterogeneity of the location of the redox interface and the implications of this heterogeneity on subsurface nitrate reduction.
- To further develop and test coupled codes for simulation of nitrate leaching, transport and reduction at catchment scale (MIKE SHE-DAISY, HydroGeoSphere).
- To develop and test a methodology for identifying the smallest potential scale (RES) at which a hydrological model can have predictive capability.
- To identify the smallest possible scale at which nitrate reduction in the subsurface can be assessed with a specified uncertainty for Danish catchments.
- To assess the economical benefits of more precise, local scale agricultural regulations.